What is the nutritional supplement known as Red Yeast Rice?
Red fermented rice, also called Red Yeast Rice (RYR), is obtained by fermenting rice. Thanks to its purple-like color and subtle smell of fresh bread, RYR is used in traditional Chinese cuisine to prepare various dishes, marinades and tofu.
Red yeast rice is naturally rich in monacolin. These are peptides which contribute to the inhibition of cholesterol production in the liver. In addition, Red Yeast Rice helps slow the absorption of cholesterol during digestion and promote its excretion.
Who should take Red Yeast Rice capsules as a dietary supplement?
- People who want to contribute to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels
- Men and women who suffer from persistent hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels in the blood)
How does natural Red Yeast Rice dietary supplement combat cholesterol?
Red Yeast Rice capsules contain no less than 14 natural statins, of which monacolin K is of special interest. In addition, the capsules are rich in plant sterols, polyunsaturated fatty acids and pyrrolidines (1), which are universally agreed to possess an effect associated with cholesterol levels in the blood. The potential of red fermented rice is mainly due to the interaction of its valuable active ingredients.
Studies carried out have shown that the intake of red fermented rice over a period of 8 weeks can lower levels of LDL cholesterol by 22% and reduce total cholesterol levels by 15%. (2) Intake is especially recommended for people who suffer from persistent hypercholesterolemia, which cannot be corrected by eating an ordinary diet.
Many users of statins are affected by increased creatine phosphokinase activity (biological markers for pain caused by massive muscle breakdown).
Red Yeast Rice capsules do not increase creatine phosphokinase activity, which is indicative of the destruction of the skeletal muscles. Consequently, they can be safely used by people who suffer from muscle pain, shortness of breath and persistent fatigue.
After having examined the scientific data, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has officially announced its position on Red Yeast Rice (6). Food supplements based on red fermented rice may now contain the statement: “Helps maintain normal cholesterol levels.” The EFSA recommends a daily dose of 10 mg of monacolin for food supplements standardized to monacolin K.
What other properties do NutriLife capsules with red fermented rice have?
The positive effects of Red Yeast Rice not only affect cholesterol levels. Red Yeast Rice nutritional supplement capsules also help relieve inflammation of the arterial walls and enhance their ability to expand. (3)
According to studies that have been conducted, red fermented rice helps significantly reduce the risk of relapse in heart attack patients. (4)
Certain bioactive peptides contained in Red Yeast Rice capsules promote fat burning. (5)
1. Bianchi A. Extracts of Monascusus purpureus beyond statins-profile of efficacy and safety of the use of extracts of Monascus purpureus. Chin J Integr Med. 2005 Dec;11(4):309-13.
2. Verhoeven V, et al. Red yeast rice lowers cholesterol in physicians - a double blind, placebo controlled randomized trial. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013 Jul 18; 13:178.
3. Zhao SP et al. Xuezhikang, an extract of cholestin, protects endothelial function through antiinflammatory and lipid-lowering mechanisms in patients with coronary heart disease. Circulation. 2004 Aug 24; 110(8):915-20. Epub 2004 Aug 16.
4. Lu Z et al. Effect of Xuezhikang, an extract from red yeast Chinese rice, on coronary events in a Chinese population with previous myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2008 Jun 15;101(12):1689-93
5. Jou PC et al. The effect of Monascus secondary polyketide metabolites, monascin and ankaflavin, on adipogenesis and lipolysis activity in 3T3-L1. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Dec 22;58(24):12703-9.
6. European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to monacolin K from red yeast rice and maintenance of normal blood LDL cholesterol concentrations (ID 1648, 1700) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006.
Not suitable for people with an allergy to statins or any of the ingredients in Red Yeast Rice dietary supplement capsules.
The concomitant use of red fermented rice and grapefruit juice is expressly not recommended.
When supplementing your diet with red fermented rice, make sure to reduce the consumption of fruits and vegetables which are rich in furocoumarins: parsley, celery, dill, carrot, parsley, fennel, coriander, cumin, lime, pomelo, bitter orange, bergamot, mandarin, and lemon.
We highly recommend supplementing your diet with a combination of Red Yeast Rice capsules and co-enzyme Q10. As with statins, the use of Red Yeast Rice could influence levels of co-enzyme Q10 in the body and consequently reduce the latter.
Taking other natural dietary supplements or medicines to lower cholesterol or blood fat levels is not recommended.
Taking this dietary supplement could increase the effects of certain anti-depressants, anti-fungal agents and antibiotics suspected of causing muscle diseases.
Taking St. John's Wort along with this supplement is not recommended, since this plant inhibits the properties of red fermented rice.
Do not exceed the recommended daily intake. Dietary supplements are not intended to replace a balance, varied diet and healthy lifestyle. Keep out of the reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place and protected from light.
1 capsule daily, preferably at bedtime.
110 capsules, 333 mg, standardized for 3% monacolin
Red fermented rice (Monascus purpureus) standardized to 3% monacolin K 10 mg, Release agent: magnesium stearate. Capsule: fish gelatin. * Citrinin <.05 ppm.
Improvement of the nutritional condition